CA Exemption Rules for IPCC / Intermediate and Old/ New Finals
The article will pen down important CA Exemption rules of IPCC/intermediate course and CA Final course laid by ICAI to be acknowledged by the students for the year 2019.
There is no exemption applicable on Foundation papers
Exemption rules are only applicable for IPCC / Intermediate and Old/ New Finals.
But before we start, we should understand what does Exemption means and why it is important to understand the exemption rules.
What is CA Exemption
Whenever you score more than 60% marks in any paper or papers, but could not clear the group or exam, then you exercise Exemption rule which says that you can skip taking the exam of that paper/ papers for 3 consecutive examinations.
For eg.if you score 65% marks in paper 2 of group 1 in Intermediate level May 2018 exams, but you could not clear the group, then you will again be attempting Intermediate Nov 2018 exams for all other three papers except for Paper 2 of group 1.
The validity to skip or exempt paper 2 will be only available till Nov 2019 examination. If you still fail to clear intermediate group 1 exam then your exemption rights will be exhausted and you have to appear for all the four paper in May 2020 examination.
Now let’s point out some basic and important rules of CA IPCC/Intermediate, Final Exemption:
CA Exemption Rules for IPCC/Intermediate and Final
1. The validly for CA exemption stays for consequent 3 examinations which means that exception in particular paper or papers is carry forward to three consecutive examination
2. No further exemption is granted in that particular group,til the exemption scored get exhausted, which means if you score exemption in paper 2 of group 1 in Nov 2018 and in May 2019 examination you score 60% marks in paper 3, but could not clear the exam then you will only carry paper 2 exemption in Nov 2019 exams . You won’t be granted an exemption for paper 3. But if you score more than 60 % marks in any paper after May 2020, your exemption for paper 2 will be exhausted and you will be granted a new exemption.
3. You need to appear for all the papers of a group or exam to earn the exemption in CA.
4. Your exemption will be stated as *E* in your statement of the mark in front of the valid paper.
5. Students cannot claim rank if not cleared all the papers of group or exam in one sitting. In short No ranks if you fail in your first attempt.
6. Eligibility to clear the exam is when
a) A candidate shall ordinarily be declared to have passed in both the groups simultaneously if he secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper of each of the groups and a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate of all the papers of each of the groups;
or secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper of both the groups and a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate of all the papers of both the groups taken together.
b) A candidate shall be declared to have passed in a Group if he secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper of the Group and minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate of all the papers of that Group.
In case of exemption If a candidate attempts again and pass all the remaining papers with 40% marks or 50% marks in the aggregate, he will be declared pass.
Even after knowing the eligibility and criteria to enjoy exemption benefit of respective paper, if you are confused then you can check exemption status online.
Check ICAI CA IPCC, Intermediate or Final Exemption Status Online
The process to check exemption status is
- Log in with your credential http://exemptions.icaiexam.icai.org
- Enter your Registration details
- Select the exams for which you expect exemption
- Submit after providing the security details
ICAI host the exemption list 2 months prior to the examination date. A student expecting exemption should check for papers on which exemption is granted and the validity of previous exemption granted and then fill the application form to avoid any goof ups.
In case if you find any discrepancies you can send an email 1 month prior to examination date and get it resolved
The email if for correspondence is as follows:
Final candidates: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intermediate (IPC) candidates: email@example.com
Usually, you are reverted within 7 days of starting the correspondence but in case, there is no revert from ICAI you should again send email to
Final candidates: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intermediate (IPC) candidates: email@example.com
These are the basic rules to be followed for CA exemption.
We wish you all the best for future
Keep yourself healthy and cooperative